SafeAssign is a plagiarism education and prevention service available through Blackboard to all faculty, students, and staff. It supports a multi-faceted approach to teaching and learning about plagiarism. While some plagiarism may be deliberate, often it is unintentional and occurs for many reasons, including:
- Forgetting to keep track of sources
- Lack of clarity about how to cite sources
- Not understanding the distinction between quoting, paraphrasing and expressing original ideas
- Differences between generations about what constitutes plagiarism
A George Mason study
reports that cultural diversity may also factor into views on plagiarism.
Submissions are checked against public web sites, ProQuest article research databases, George Mason's institutional document archive, and a global reference database to help prevent cross-institutional plagiarism.
- Instructors must log into Blackboard/Courses 9.1, open a course, and choose the location to place the SafeAssign link each time students are to submit a paper or assignment. The Originality Report on each submission can then be viewed by the instructor or teaching assistant in the SafeAssign or in the Grade Center.
- Instructors may also directly submit a paper to receive an Originality Report or to submit it to the Institutional Search Database using the SafeAssign Course Tool.
- If the SafeAssign tool is not available in your course, choose Tool Availability under Customization in the course control panel and check off all boxes related to SafeAssign.
- Read how to create a SafeAssignment
- Watch how to create a SafeAssignment
- SafeAssign accepts files in .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html file formats only.
For more information, contact Learning Support Services at 703-993-3141 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.