Virtual Computing Lab
The Virtual Computing Lab (VCL) serves as a learning resource for George Mason University students, faculty, and staff. The VCL is a technological way of remotely delivering software to users, through the Internet, regardless of their physical location or the time of day. Utilizing the VCL is easy and only requires an Internet-enabled computer and Mason credentials. Once logged in and connected, the Virtual Computing Lab provides access to specialized software, in a safe computing environment, without the need to purchase or install it to one's personal device.
Software currently available on the VCL includes:
Linux CentOS 5 and 6
Linux Ubuntu 12.04
Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010
Microsoft Visio Premium2010
Microsoft Visual Studio
Stata 12 (IC)
For more information about the VCL, please visit the FAQs
To use the VCL, users must first reserve a session via the online portal. To make a reservation on the VCL, visit www.vcl.gmu.edu
and follow the steps below.
* Note: instructions are for PC users. If using a Mac device, please see the user guide below. Contact the Support Center at 703-993-8870 for assistance or troubleshooting.
1) Log onto www.vcl.gmu.edu
2) Ensure Mason Credentials is selected in the drop down menu.
3) Click on Proceed to Login.
4) Enter your Mason credentials. (same as PatriotWeb and Blackboard)
5) To create a software reservation, select New Reservation located in the left side bar. This page includes a drop down menu of all software available for use.
6) Select the software you would like to reserve.
7) Choose when and for how long you would like to reserve the software.
8) Click Create Reservation. You will be redirected to the Current Reservations page where your software will load. You will also receive an e-mail confirming your reservation. (Note: A reservation can take as long as 15 minutes to load)
9) Once the software has loaded, click the Connect button.
10) You will be redirected to the Connect page which contains unique information for your reservation. Write down the assigned password provided on this page, which you will need to access the software. (Note: You cannot copy and paste)
11) Click Get RDP file to open the software.
12) Within the pop-up, select Save File and then OK to download the file and launch the software.
13) Once the download has completed, open the software file. Within the Remote Desktop Connection pop-up, select Connect.
14) When the log in pop-up appears, enter the unique password provided in Step 10 to access the software. You are now connected.
15) When you are done, select Log Off within the start menu of the Remote Desktop Connection to exit. The application will automatically close when your reservation time has expired. Should you close the application before your reservation time expires, you may log back in at any point during your allotted time frame.
For complete instructions on how to create a reservation and utilize the VCL, refer to the appropriate user guide below:
For technical support or questions regarding the VCL, contact the ITU Support Center at 703-993-8870. The Support Center is open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.