SafeAssign is a plagiarism education and prevention service available through Blackboard to all faculty, students, and staff. It supports a multi-faceted approach to teaching and learning about plagiarism. While some plagiarism may be deliberate, often it is unintentional and occurs for many reasons, including:
- Forgetting to keep track of sources
- Lack of clarity about how to cite sources
- Not understanding the distinction between quoting, paraphrasing and expressing original ideas
- Differences between generations about what constitutes plagiarism
A George Mason study reports that cultural diversity may also factor into views on plagiarism.
Submissions are checked against public websites, ProQuest article research databases, George Mason’s institutional document archive, and a global reference database to help prevent cross-institutional plagiarism.
- Instructors must log into Blackboard/Courses, open a course, and choose the location to place the SafeAssign link each time students are to submit a paper or assignment. The Originality Report on each submission can then be viewed by the instructor or teaching assistant in the SafeAssign or in the Grade Center.
- Instructors may also directly submit a paper to receive an Originality Report or to submit it to the Institutional Search Database using the SafeAssign Course Tool.
- If the SafeAssign tool is not available in your course, choose Tool Availability under Customization in the course control panel and check off all boxes related to SafeAssign.
- SafeAssign accepts files in .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, and .html file formats only.
For more information, contact Learning Support Services at 703-993-3141 or e-mail email@example.com.