Video Equipment Checkout
Student Technology Assistance and Resource Lab
STAR Lab offers 18 Mac stations and 15 PC stations equipped with specialized video and film, multimedia, and game design software. This facility also has a variety of video production equipment available for checkout, as well as a video production studio. Student mentors with specialized knowledge of operating systems and applications are on hand to assist with troubleshooting.
High-end video production equipment is available for check out through the STAR Lab. The following gear is available to rent:
- Video cameras: Canon XA-10, Canon C100 and C100 Mark II, Panasonic GH4, Sony FS-700 and BlackMagic Cinema Camera
- Audio recorders and field mixers: Zoom F8, Tascam DR-100 and DR-05, and Azden FMX-42a.
- Microphones: Wired and wireless lavaliers, dynamic and condenser microphones.
- Tripods, shoulder rigs, sliders.
- Audio kits equipped with headphones, a dynamic or condenser mic and a wired lavalier.
- Light kits: LED and tungsten
Some high end/more specialized equipment will only be available to students of those specific majors, or students who have taken certain classes.
STAR Lab Policies
- All students, faculty, and staff can use the lab and checkout basic video production equipment; some specialized equipment may require more authorizations.
- While reservations are not required, please be aware that during peak seasons or when time is critical to the completion of your project, you should plan accordingly by reserving the equipment you need.
- Computer stations are reserved in three-hour time slots while equipment may be checked out for up to six hours per day by students, staff, and faculty.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late your appointment will be forfeited.
- Borrowers accept responsibility for safe, timely, clean and undamaged return of the equipment they have checked out. They will also be responsible for the replacement and/or repair of damaged equipment.
- Borrowers will be charged of a late fee of $5.00/hour for delinquent equipment, as well as an additional $5.00 for each instance the equipment has been kept overnight without prior authorization. Unpaid fines will result in a hold on the borrower’s academic records and/or university account. Account holds preclude students from registering for classes or graduating.
- Failure to return equipment may result in action by the Dean of Students or the University Police. Borrowers will be responsible for any legal fees and costs associated with such action.
- George Mason University’s policy on Responsible Use of Computing.
How to Get this Service
- To reserve equipment, click here and log-in with your Mason credentials (NetID).
- Please bring your university-issued ID as proof of university affiliation.
- There is no charge for this service.
Fall and Spring
Monday thru Thursday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday thru Friday: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
STAR Lab will not be open during Spring Break and Winter Holidays.
The STAR Lab is located on the second floor of the Johnson Center, Room 229. For more information or to make a reservation, call 703-993-8990 or click here.