Video Production Studio
Student Technology Assistance and Resource Lab
STAR Lab offers 18 Mac stations and 15 PC stations equipped with specialized video and film, multimedia, and game design software. This facility also has a variety of video production equipment available for checkout, as well as a video production studio. Student mentors with specialized knowledge of operating systems and applications are on hand to assist with troubleshooting.
STAR Lab Studio
A small production studio space is available for students, faculty, and staff to complete small video production projects.
- This space can be reserved in three hour blocks with a valid Mason student or faculty ID and can be used for a wide range of video, still photography, or other multimedia work.
- Users may bring their own equipment or check out production equipment from the STAR Lab.
- Users may not use the Studio BroadcastPix system or the broadcast cameras in the space.
- The STAR Lab Studio is available during lab hours only.
Student mentors are on hand to assist with troubleshooting.
STAR Lab Policies
- All students, faculty, and staff can use the lab and checkout basic video production equipment; some specialized equipment may require more authorizations.
- While reservations are not required, please be aware that during peak seasons or when time is critical to the completion of your project, you should plan accordingly by reserving the equipment you need.
- Computer stations are reserved in three-hour time slots while equipment may be checked out for up to six hours per day by students, staff, and faculty.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late your appointment will be forfeited.
- Borrowers accept responsibility for safe, timely, clean and undamaged return of the equipment they have checked out. They will also be responsible for the replacement and/or repair of damaged equipment.
- Borrowers will be charged of a late fee of $5.00/hour for delinquent equipment, as well as an additional $5.00 for each instance the equipment has been kept overnight without prior authorization. Unpaid fines will result in a hold on the borrower’s academic records and/or university account. Account holds preclude students from registering for classes or graduating.
- Failure to return equipment may result in action by the Dean of Students or the University Police. Borrowers will be responsible for any legal fees and costs associated with such action.
- George Mason University’s policy on Responsible Use of Computing.
How to Get this Service
- To reserve equipment, click here and log-in with your Mason credentials (NetID).
- Please bring your university-issued ID as proof of university affiliation.
- There is no charge for this service.
Fall and Spring
Monday thru Thursday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Friday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Monday thru Friday: 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
STAR Lab will not be open during Spring Break and Winter Holidays.
The STAR Lab is located on the second floor of the Johnson Center, Room 229. For more information or to make a reservation, call 703-993-8990 or click here.